Munich gunman planned attacks for one year - Bavarian state crime office
- Author: Joey Payne Jul 27, 2016,
Jul 27, 2016, 0:14
On Friday, nice people were killed during a mass shooting by a teenager in a shopping mall in the city of Munich and on July 18, an ax attack injured several on a train on Wurzburg.
"From documents we have examined thus far, it seems he had been planning his act already since last summer", said Robert Heimberger, chief investigator at Bavaria's criminal investigative agency, at a press conference.
Sonboly, who obtained the Glock pistol used in the attack on the internet, was also a fan of "first-person shooter" video games including "Counter-Strike: Source", Heimberger said, according to AP.
Mr Steinkraus-Koch said Sonboly feared contact with others and had depression and that he had been treated as a psychiatric inpatient for two months in 2015.
Meanwhile, information continues to surface about the victims who lost their lives during the brutal attack - including the story of a brother who used his own body as a human shield to save his twin sister during the bloodbath.
Jul 24, 2016- The teenage gunman who killed nine people in Munich on Friday had been planning his attack for a year, German authorities say. People who knew him described him as shy, and suggested his violence was more likely personal than ideological.
The shooter killed himself after the rampage near a Munich mall.
Sonboly carried out his sickening attack on the fifth anniversary of Norway terrorist Anders Breivik's massacre in 2011, where 77 people were killed.
"There, it also became apparent to the [Afghan] suspect that the attacker was interested in [Norwegian mass murderer] Breivik", Steinkraus-Koch said.
Police have not named the attacker, but said he had dual German and Iranian nationalities and was born and raised in Munich. Germany's postwar constitution allows the military to be deployed domestically only in cases of national emergency.
A 16-year-old Afghan youth has been arrested by German police on suspicion of a connection to the killing of nine people by an 18-year-old gunman in Munich.
He said his book was written "to keep people safe, to teach people what to look for to prevent such attacks".
But state Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann told the Welt am Sonntag newspaper that the regulations are now obsolete and that Germans have a "right to safety".
"[He] said he would treat them to what they wanted as long as it wasn't too expensive - that was the invitation", Heimberger said, according to Reuters.