Canadian police kill alleged would-be bomber linked to IS

"I want to commend the RCMP, CSIS, local police and law enforcement agencies for their exceptional work in taking the appropriate measures in keeping Canadians safe and I want to thank the Federal Bureau of Investigation for their assistance".

Canadian police shot dead an alleged Islamic State sympathizer armed with an explosive device on Wednesday, media reports said, as police confirmed they thwarted a "potential terror threat".

Following these attacks, the Conservative government passed a bill giving the RCMP and Canada's spy agency sweeping powers to thwart terror plots and prevent Canadian youth from flying overseas to join the Islamic State group in Syria.

Driver was killed later on Wednesday during a confrontation with police officers who intercepted him just as he left a residence in the Ontario town of Strathroy and got into the back of a taxi with a backpack and a bomb.

The FBI tip included a video, which was shown during the news conference.

"You will pay for everything you ever brought against us", a masked man identified by RCMP Deputy Commissioner Mike Cabana as Driver said in the video, invoking the Islamic State in explaining his plan to attack Canada.

In the video, Driver condemned what he called the "enemies of Islam", threatened the "spilling of your blood" and an attack against Canada.

This is the first terrorist challenge for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who made a campaign pledge to withdraw Canada from the combat mission against the Islamic State in Iraq and instead increase commitment to training local fighters.

He had been monitored for at least a year but had not been under surveillance.

Driver was arrested previous year for associating with terrorist groups.

Driver was known to police as an IS supporter, and was arrested in June past year, but released on a peace bond.

Driver's former lawyer, Leonard Tailleur, said he was surprised by the incident as he had an expert assess Driver and had found no signs of violence, despite his sometimes extreme views.

He added the information the TTC was given Wednesday was "very general about a credible threat that was being investigated by police but it had no location, it didn't even say a city as far as I know".

The peace bond stated that Driver was "consenting or acknowledging that there are reasonable grounds to fear that he may participate, contribute - directly or indirectly - in the activity of a terrorist group".

He was ordered to undergo counseling from a religious leader, wear an electronic monitoring bracelet and stay off the internet, but was not be surveilled, police said.

They told the family they had to shoot him because he had a second device which he was planning to detonate, CBC said. At the time, the bail conditions drew criticism from the Manitoba Association of Rights and Liberties.

He said Canada's National Terrorism Threat Level remained unchanged at "medium".

Cabana told journalists police had evidence Driver had been in contact with the 15-year-old British boy who was sentenced last year to life imprisonment for inciting terrorism. "I understand the rules of engagement we're all taught, and I'm sure that they gave Aaron every ample opportunity to surrender but Aaron chose not to", said Mr. Driver, who is retired from the Canadian Armed Forces.

The Ottawa attack came two days after a man, described by authorities as an Islamic State group-inspired terrorist, ran over two soldiers in a parking lot in Quebec, killing one and injuring the other before being shot to death by police.

  • Joey Payne