Girl ends up with 3rd-degree burns from homemade slime
- Author: Marlene Weaver Mar 29, 2017,
Mar 29, 2017, 1:55
Kathleen Quinn was taking part in a popular do-it-yourself project at her MA home.
"It felt really hot and tingly", Quinn, of Rockland, told WCVB.
When she came home, her dad put ointment on her hands and placed them in white gloves to relieve the pain.
Mom Siobhan Quinn was initially thrilled to see her daughter in the kitchen and away from the television - until this week when she started to notice her hands turning red. Doctors said Quinn's second- and third-degree burns were due to extended exposure to Borax One - a common ingredient in homemade slime.
"I've had other mothers say, 'Oh, we've made it a million times, it's fine, nothing happened to my child, '" Siobhan told WCVB. Thankfully, Kathleen is expected to make a full recovery. "Glitter slime, clear slime, sequin slime, glow-in-the-dark slime, puffy slime, and metallic slime are just a few of the gooey concoctions to surprise us, all of which use Elmer's glue as a key ingredient".
"It's not created to be a component for household projects like making slime", Consumer Reports Chief Scientific Officer James Dickerson tells PEOPLE.
11-year-old Kathleen Quinn has been making "slime" since December.
"I thought it was great", Quinn told the news station. Siobhan took her to Shriners Hospital - where they treated her for second and third-degree burns.
Michaels has installed "Slime Headquarters" on aisle endcaps, with displays sporting glue and slime mix-ins like beads and glitter, according to the Associated Press. It's worth noting that other recipes for homemade "slime" call for using corn starch or liquid starch, instead of Boric acid.
Sodium borate, also known as Borax, is typically used as a household cleaner and the label warns customers to not eat the substance and to keep it away from their eyes.
Deejay's chemical burns got her a referral to a plastic surgeon, her mother said.