2 adults dead in San Bernardino school shooting
- Author: Wendy Palmer Apr 16, 2017,
Apr 16, 2017, 2:24
A candlelight vigil was planned for the victims Tuesday evening 7 p.m.at North Park Elementary.
The school is about 10 miles from the Inland Regional Center, where 14 people were killed and 22 wounded in a December 2015 terror attack carried out by a husband and wife.
Students and parents comfort one another after a shooting at an elementary school on April 10, 2017 in San Bernardino, California.
Police said Anderson was able to enter the school by simply telling the front office staff he had something to drop off for his wife.
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. - Ruben Gutierrez did not hesitate.
The shooting at North Park Elementary, the latest of dozens of USA schools traumatized by armed intruders in recent years, reopened debate about what educators can do to safeguard students against mounting gun violence. And he wanted him to have good associations with the place before it reopens next week.
Moving forward, our leaders must commit themselves to supporting victims and doing what we can to prevent further acts of violence in our communities.
Many of them had anxiously watched TV news images of children gathered on the school playground surrounded by police with long guns, not knowing for sure whether their own children were safe. Just showing the love, letting them know we are here for them. Without saying a word, the husband stepped into the classroom, pulled out a Smith and Wesson.357 and fired 10 rounds.
Pacheco called what happened at San Bernardino, "the ultimate form of trying to make someone stay or take their decision away", and added: "We always tell people that we don't think domestic violence is going to stop until we stop asking 'Why doesn't she just leave?' and start asking 'Why do abusers abuse?'"
Jonathan had had heart surgery, Marsden said.
Eight-year-old Jonathan Martinez passed away at Loma Linda University Medical Center after being airlifted from the school; the other student who was struck, a 9-year-old boy, is now listed in stable condition at the hospital. Authorities have not released his name.
One eight-year-old boy, Jonathan Martinez, died from his wounds. They included students who had been evacuated from their school; parents, teachers and volunteers who had rushed to Cajon High School in the afternoon to offer help; and longtime city residents who had watched yet another local tragedy play out on live television. There he shot and killed Smith, as well as 8-year-old Jonathan Martinez, according to USA Today.
Anderson's ex-wife, Natalie Anderson, had sought a restraining order against him in 1996 after he told her he would kill her and her children and take his own life when she refused to pay for their divorce, according to court documents obtained by the New York Daily News.