India board agree to Champions Trophy cricket participation

India's participation in the Champions Trophy, to be played in England from June 1 to 18, had been put on hold following the revenue sharing issue with the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the matter was left to the SGM.

With the BCCI and COA divided on whether India should pullout of the Champions Trophy after the ICC cut its financial wings by reworking the revenue model of the worldwide body, the letter came amid speculation that the BCCI was seriously mulling a pullout. You are aware that the squad representing India at the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 was to be submitted by 25th April 2017 but the squad has not even been selected as yet. The ICC Board had approved a new constitution, a new governance structure, and a new finance model, with the other Full Members outvoting the BCCI.

The BCCI's use of the Champions Trophy as a bargaining chip with the ICC had come in for criticism. The goal of the SGM was to take a call on the revenue loss and governance reforms at the International Cricket Council (ICC). Meanwhile, the selection committee of the BCCI is all set to meet in Delhi on Monday. "We will inform the Supreme Court about their concerns", a source close to COA said. Mid-day learns that most cricket officials except those from the south zone are on the same page as the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA) where sending the team to defend their Champions Trophy crown is concerned.

"The Board unanimously authorised the acting honorary secretary of the BCCI to continue negotiations with the ICC in the best interest of the BCCI while keeping its legal options open", it said in the statement.

At last month's ICC meetings, the BCCI was outvoted 13-1 in its bid to halt the revised deal which considerably slashes India's share from global events in the 2015-2023 cycle.

  • Aubrey Nash