Top Hizbul Mujahideen commander Abdul Qayoom Najar killed in Baramulla

According to police Najar was wanted for more than 50 killings including policeman in Hygman are of Sopore. The killed terrorist was involved in dozens of killings of civilians, Police and Security forces.

"The troops fired on the militants, who retaliated".

The security forces initially suspected that an unidentified foreign militant was killed in a routine infiltration attempt, but subsequent investigations found that the slain militant was Najar.

"He (Najar) was returning to Kashmir to take over the command of Hizbul Mujahideen in the wake of elimination of top commanders of the outfit by security forces", Hussain said. After his release, Qayoom allegedly reentered militancy and was an active terrorist.

He said Najar briefly fell out with HM/Hurriyat leadership in 2015 when he orchestrated multiple attacks on mobile towers in Sopore.

He said though he had developed differences with HM but he was actually a man of the outfit. There was a reward of Rs 10 lakh for information leading to his arrest or killing.

"His return was also necessitated because of the Hizb being wiped out from north Kashmir", the police added.

Curfew like restrictions have been imposed in apple township of Sopore, about 55 km from here in north Kashmir district of Baramulla as a precautionary measure. Najar, the longest surviving militant, was one of the top commanders of Hizbul Mujahideen. Officers said he used to keep changing his appearance, used wigs and moved around discreetly.

Although police claims that Najar was linked with militants since 1999, his family members and friends told Firstpost that he joined militants after him and his family were subjected to harassment at the hands of police over a neighborhood dispute in which Najar was accused of assaulting a female. Najar could have been the biggest challenge for security forces as he had the ability to revive militancy not only in north Kashmir but in the entire Valley, police officials said. "To sort out those misunderstandings, he was called back to the base camp in Muzaffarabad..."

  • Fernando Stephens