Ford recalls 1.3 million trucks; doors could open while driving
- Author: Wendy Palmer Oct 19, 2017,
Oct 19, 2017, 0:38
Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries associated with this issue.
A Ford spokeswoman, Elizabeth Weigandt, said customers would be notified next month but did not have a timetable for when parts will be available.
Affected vehicles include certain 2015-17 Ford F-150 and 2017 Ford Super Duty trucks. The company initially alerted dealers in 2015 about the issue.
The recall comes not long after Ford outlined a plan to cut costs by $14 billion in order to help fund the development of future product - mainly hybrids and EVs. "When the data indicates a safety recall is needed, we move quickly", she said.
The recall involves about 1.1 million vehicles in the USA, 222,000 in Canada and 21,000 in Mexico.
Ford estimates the cost of the recall at $267 million.
The F-Series has been the company's best-selling vehicle, and the Super Duty, made exclusively at Kentucky Truck Plant, has helped prop up profits because consumers increasingly are opting for higher-end models of the work truck.
Despite the hit, Ford said that it still expected to earn between $1.65 and $1.85 per share for the full year.
According to CNBC, Ford previously said it planned to spend $935 million on fixing vehicles that were included in recalls going back to August 2016.
As a result, doors may not open (not good in an emergency situation) or may not fully close, potentially swinging open while the truck is moving (also very bad).
Ford shares fell 0.7 percent to $12.19 in late trading Wednesday.