IRGC General: Devastating Response Awaiting Ahvaz Attack Terrorists

Ahvaz National Resistance, an Iranian ethnic Arab opposition movement, and the Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility for the attack.

A top Revolutionary Guards commander pledged the United States and Israel will see a "crushing and devastating response" to a military parade attack Tehran says they orchestrated last week.

Soon after the attack, the U.S. State Department issued a statement of sympathy to Iran, calling out what spokesperson Heather Nauert called "the scourge of radical Islamic terrorism".

AFP reporters on Monday saw members of the public and the military carrying coffins draped in the Iranian flag, some bearing pictures of the deceased.

The announcement by the intelligence came as people took part in large numbers for the funeral of the victims of the attack.

Women in long black chadors held back tears while rhythmically striking their chests, a traditional way of showing grief.

Many chanted "death to Israel and America".

Cries and wails erupted when the casket of a local Ahvaz hero, 54-year-old Hossein Monjazi, a disabled war veteran and Revolutionary Guard member who had lost a leg and a hand in the Iraq-Iran war of the 1980s, was brought out.

Monjazi was in the wheelchair watching the parade when the gunshots erupted and was unable to find shelter from the hail of bullets.

At least 29 people, including children, were killed and 70 others injured in an assault on the Iranian military on Saturday.

"You are responsible for these actions; you will face the repercussions.

Iran is not the place for such [terrorist] activities", Alav said. "The terrorists are a bunch of cowards".

"Just look at the crowd, with no fear, people are gathered here to see their soldiers and martyrs off to heaven", said another Ahvaz resident, Ghaseem Farhani, a merchant.

The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria's Amaq agency posted a video of three men in a vehicle who it said were on their way to carry out the attack.

State media said the four attackers were dead.

Since pulling out of the big powers' nuclear pact with Iran, Mr Trump has reimposed USA sanctions aimed at isolating Teheran and forcing it to negotiate tougher curbs on both its nuclear and ballistic missile programmes.

Responding to Rohani's accusations, the US ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, told the BBC that Iran should "look in the mirror" for the causes of the attack, saying that Iran had "oppressed its people for a long time".

Iranian leaders accused the United States of complicity in the attacks in Ahvaz.

Both Trump and Rouhani are attending this week's U.N. General Assembly in NY.

Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavai told the mourners that his agency had identified many suspects involved in the attack and "a majority of them were detained".

Qasemi said the Danish and Dutch ambassadors were told that Iran had already warned their respective governments about the presence of the "terrorists" and called for their arrest and trial.

  • Joey Payne