Ronan Farrow's former producer says NBC News tried to block Weinstein story
- Author: Marlene Weaver Sep 01, 2018,
Sep 01, 2018, 1:42
The Daily Beast, citing anonymous sources, reported that NBC didn't want Farrow to pursue the matter and had network general counsel Susan Weiner make a series of threatening phone calls to the son of actress Mia Farrow.
A former NBC producer who worked with journalist Ronan Farrow on the reporter's exposé of sexual assault and misconduct allegations surrounding Harvey Weinstein is accusing NBC News executives of resisting the pair's efforts to report the story.
Farrow, a contributor to NBC, requested to take the story elsewhere, wanting to go public sooner than NBC would allow.
Noah Oppenheim, the president of NBC News, denies all allegations, saying the network's issue with the story was grounded in a lack of on-the-record victims willing to speak on camera, not the story's direction.
The DB also reports claims about an ugly internal blame-game at NBC after Farrow's story broke at the New Yorker, reporting that while Oppenheim publicly took the blame for not running Farrow's report, he "privately told at least one colleague that NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack and senior communications vice president Mark Kornblau had made him a scapegoat". "One time it even happened when we were in the room", he said. Farrow has previously countered NBC claims that the Weinstein story was not well-reported enough to broadcast a year ago.
"Unfortunately, he did not yet have a single victim of-or witness to-misconduct by Weinstein who was willing to be identified", said Oppenheim, CNN reports.
EARLIER: The New York Times reported today that Ronan Farrow's groundbreaking expose on producer Harvey Weinstein was killed by NBC upper management. For eight months, Farrow reported the story out, eventually obtaining a recording of an NYPD sting in which Weinstein admitted to groping model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez. Who knows how many stories have been killed to protect wealthy power players like Weinstein?
NBC News rejected McHugh's claims in a statement to the Times, arguing that Farrow and McHugh's story was not reportable at the time that Farrow made a decision to leave the network. And immediately New Yorker recognized that, and it is not accurate to say that it was not reportable. NBC and Oppenheim have denied that Weinstein influenced the process in any way. Besides, this wouldn't be the first time that the Powers That Be at NBC News ignored or squashed reports of abusive, powerful men.
"There's more to come", a source with knowledge of the Daily Beast's reporting told Mediaite after the release of its story on Thursday. "From that point on, I think it's fair to say Ronan and I felt resistance", McHugh told the Times.