Three US service members killed in Afghanistan roadside bombing
- Author: Joey Payne Nov 29, 2018,
Nov 29, 2018, 1:31
"Sgt. Jasso was killed defending our nation, fighting al-Qaida alongside our Afghan partners", Gen. Scott Miller, the top US and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation commander in Afghanistan, said in a statement.
It's the deadliest attack on US soldiers in the country in the past year.
General Scott Miller, the top U.S. and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation commander in Afghanistan, said Jasso was killed "defending our nation, fighting al Qaeda alongside our Afghan partners".
Meanwhile, a rash of American combat deaths in Afghanistan is putting a spotlight on a stalemated 17-year war that is testing President Donald Trump's commitment to pursuing peace with the Taliban.
Interior Ministry deputy spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said casualties were "not known".
The attack came hours after provincial officials said at least 30 civilians were killed along with 16 Taliban fighters during an overnight battle between Afghan government forces and insurgents in southern Helmand province.
Kabul police spokesman Basir Mujahid said at least six wounded people had been evacuated from the site, but could not confirm their nationality.
The city, which sits on the main highway linking the capital Kabul with Kandahar in the south, was overrun this year by a large Taliban force before it was driven off by Afghan and US troops after days of heavy fighting.
There was no immediate claim for the attack.
The Taliban, emboldened by its successes in Ghazni and the surrounding provinces, then launched an assault on the districts of Jaghuri and Malistan.
The Taliban routinely reports on its operations in Ghazni on its official propaganda website.
Taliban militants said they carried out the attack, their latest near the strategic city south of the capital.
In recent years both the United States and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation have pulled their forces away from direct combat, instead focusing on providing advice and assistance to Afghan security forces. Earlier this month, US Gen. Scott Miller, the head of US and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces in Afghanistan who survived an October firefight in Kandahar, was photographed carrying a fully loaded M4 carbine assault rifle while visiting the Ghazni area.