Medical examiner: North Texas man killed when e-cig explodes
- Author: Joey Payne Feb 07, 2019,
Feb 07, 2019, 0:42
Local media reports indicate that after the explosion, William was able to get out of the vehicle to search for help; however, he ultimately collapsed near the trunk of the auto.
Brown, a high school graduate who loved fixing up his Mazda RX8, was preparing to celebrate his birthday in just two weeks, his grandmother said.
The explosion reportedly happened on January 27, in the parking lot of a store that sells smoking and vaping supplies.
Alice Brown told the paper that her grandson had asthma and was not a smoker, but he'd heard a certain type of vape pen could help with his condition. Brown died at John Peter Smith Hospital two days later, she said. The Tarrant County medical examiner's office ruled William Brown's cause of death as penetrating trauma from an exploding vaporizer pen.
'It just hurts so bad, now he'll never see that birthday. It's a waste of the things he could have accomplished.
'It just all seems so unreal.
The grandmother said the battery melted plastic in her auto and sent debris flying into Brown's face and neck. "And that's what they should have taken out as soon as he got to the hospital, and they made a decision to wait until Monday or Tuesday".
A mechanical mod is an unregulated style of vaporizer that does not have circuitry to keep the voltage steady throughout the life of the device's battery. Luckily she says she managed to retrieve the battery with the serial number. She said she hoped that the pieces of the destroyed vape pen would provide the information needed to stop someone else from suffering the same fate. "I don't know how many more people will have to die".
A store employee who witnessed the incident, meanwhile, told the Dallas Morning News that the vaporizer was not purchased at the location. Tallmadge D'Elia died in May from the incident and suffered burns on 80 percent of his body. The CDC has reported that most explosions occur when the e-cigarette batteries are being charged.
Last May, a man in St. Petersburg, Florida, was killed when his e-cigarette exploded and shot a piece of the device into his head.
Malfunctioning e-cigarette batteries have caused hundreds to thousands of similar injuries, U.S. reports say.